Mendards evacuated, closed after gas leak

BEAVER DAM -- Beaver Dam Fire Department members were called early Tuesday morning for a report of a gas leak at a home improvement store.

Firefighters were summoned at 7:48 a.m. to Menards, 121 Francis Lane in the city of Beaver Dam.

A contractor called the fire department to report they had struck the gas main. Full Range Maintenance of Oshkosh was the contractor that was using a backhoe and hit the gas main. The contractor was working on an upgrade to the lumberyard entrance at the time of the incident Tuesday morning, according to Matthew Christian, Beaver Dam Fire deputy fire chief.

The Menards store was evacuated and closed during the leak. Alliant Energy was also called and was on scene shortly after the fire department arrived. Alliant Energy and the Beaver Dam Fire Department monitored the air for explosive limits during the incident. Alliant Energy was able to stop the leak in less than an hour. Menards was able to open for business shortly after the leak was stopped.

Alliant Energy is investigating how the leak happened.

Beaver Dam Police Department assisted Alliant Energy and Beaver Dam Fire Department at the scene.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.