BEAVER DAM -- Beaver Dam Fire Department members were called early Tuesday morning for a report of a gas leak at a home improvement store.
Firefighters were summoned at 7:48 a.m. to Menards, 121 Francis Lane in the city of Beaver Dam.
A contractor called the fire department to report they had struck the gas main. Full Range Maintenance of Oshkosh was the contractor that was using a backhoe and hit the gas main. The contractor was working on an upgrade to the lumberyard entrance at the time of the incident Tuesday morning, according to Matthew Christian, Beaver Dam Fire deputy fire chief.
The Menards store was evacuated and closed during the leak. Alliant Energy was also called and was on scene shortly after the fire department arrived. Alliant Energy and the Beaver Dam Fire Department monitored the air for explosive limits during the incident. Alliant Energy was able to stop the leak in less than an hour. Menards was able to open for business shortly after the leak was stopped.
Alliant Energy is investigating how the leak happened.
Beaver Dam Police Department assisted Alliant Energy and Beaver Dam Fire Department at the scene.