Man faces 13 counts for assaulting his ex-girlfriend

Ricardo S. Cox

JEFFERSON -- A Beaver Dam man is facing 13 counts -- six of them felonies -- in Jefferson County Circuit Court for the alleged stalking, battery, false imprisonment and attempted sexual assault of his former Watertown girlfriend.

Ricardo S. Cox, 43, of Beaver Dam, was charged with the crimes for his alleged actions toward the woman between Jan. 24, 2018, and March 2, 2018, mostly in the city of Watertown.

According to state court records, Cox is charged with one count each of stalking, making threats via computer message, first-degree reckless endangerment of safety with a dangerous weapon, false imprisonment, attempted second-degree sexual assault with the use of force, and two counts each of battery, criminal damage to property, disorderly conduct and bail jumping.

A jury trial was to take place this week, but complications with a witness who went into labor delayed proceedings and a new date has yet to be set. In the meantime, Cox is being held in the Dodge Correctional Institution at Waupun. He had been in custody at the Jefferson County Jail through July 23.

According to a criminal complaint, the Watertown woman who was under the alleged threats and abuse had lived with Cox for two weeks in Beaver Dam as his girlfriend.

Investigators learned that while Cox was allegedly committing his crimes against the woman, he was on felony bond in Dodge County, where he is charged with manufacture/delivery of cocaine and other offenses. He had posted a $20,000 cash bond and was released. As a condition of the bond, he was to commit no new crimes. The woman told investigating officers Cox told her during the incidents that he knew he had nothing to lose, because he was going back to jail.

In one of the first incidents against the woman for which Cox is charged in Jefferson County, the criminal complaint stated he went to her Watertown residence at night and accused her of talking to another man. She told him that she was, but he was just a friend.

"(Cox) started to yell at her and call her names," the complaint stated. "At first she thought he was joking, but then he began to slap her and push her. During this incident, (the woman) estimated Cox hit her well over 50 times. Cox would slap her, then backhand her. Every time she started to say something, he would slap her and tell her to shut up."

At one point the woman was on her bed.

"Cox had retrieved a knife from the kitchen," the complaint stated. "The knife was approximately one foot long ... Cox was yelling at her when he suddenly grabbed the knife and plunged it into the bed approximately four inches from her head. The woman said Cox threatened to kill her so many times, she thought that was what he was going to do. She tried to get away, but Cox continued to stab the knife into the mattress as she moved around."

The woman tried to leave the room, but Cox stood in front of the door and would not let her out. He then attempted to sexually assault the woman, but did not.

"Cox slapped her so hard it busted her lip open," the complaint stated. "The defendant then pointed the knife at her and told her that if she did not delete (a recording she was making of the incident), he would kill her. She did delete the recording."

The woman went into the bathroom where she spit up blood.

"The woman was able to escape the home and drove to Watertown Regional Medical Center.

As she sat in the parking lot, deciding what to do, Cox pulled up next to her.

"The woman told Cox she would need to go to the hospital because he had her in the house so long she missed work and would need an excuse," the complaint stated. "She believes that is how he knew to go there. Cox came into the hospital with her. She told the nursing staff she had a urinary tract infection. She never told them she was abused."

On March 1, 2018, Cox had allegedly sent a series of messages to the woman starting at 2:25 a.m., in which he said he wanted to be with her and that he loved her.

On March 2, 2018, at approximately 3:41 a.m. the woman went to the Watertown Police Department to report additional actions on the part of Cox that were of a stalking nature, in the form of threatening phone messages.

"As officers downloaded the contents of her phone, the woman and her mother kept telling investigators how scared they were of the defendant," the complaint stated. "The woman kept saying, 'You don't understand. He is crazy and has told me many times that he is hooked up and will have someone take care of things for him.' She said she can't keep living her life like this."

Between March 2, 2018, at 7 a.m. and 9:27 a.m. Cox sent the woman 67 messages, with one stating: "I want you to save all the messages they gone (sic) make a book about this, I told you everybody that done (expletive) me over going to die once I start my killing spree, no more jail time baby, you got it all wrong."

The complaint stated the woman also reported to the Madison Police Department that on March 2, 2018, at about 10 p.m., she was at the Holiday Inn and Suites in Madison, swimming in the pool. At that time, she received a text message from the defendant that said, "I want to go swimming to (sic)." The police escorted the woman and her son to her car and they left.

If convicted on all the counts, Cox could face the remainder of his life in prison.

(0) comments

Welcome to the discussion.

Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.